01 Jun 2022Edited guidelines to reflect that in the submission file both columns have to be passed as strings, which means that both columns should include the corresponding double quote marks (" ")
This is a learning competition. Aside from knowledge, there is no monetary prize at stake.
Since the dawn of time, human beings have been trying to keep tabs on mother nature. For basic survival and protection, to mega industries like construction and transportation, weather forecasting is crucial to our survival!
The thing is— it’s not exactly an easy task. In fact, the prediction of the weather has been subject to human error time and time again simply because of the sheer volume of data that must be processed.
One place where forecast precision is imperative is in the agricultural sector. Farmers make daily decisions based on the weather, and these decisions can have massive impact on the health and vitality of their yield, and the world.
Here is where you come in…
A major agricultural company needs you to help them maximize growth efficiency, save resources and optimize their production. To achieve these things, the company needs to have an accurate weather prediction algorithm which will improve their decision making on typical farming activities such as planting and irrigating.
Using historical weather information from their region, can you predict what the weather will be in the next few days? Please note that areas A through E and the target area where you need to predict the weather, are all neighboring regions. The location of each region is not available.
This is a beginner-level practice competition and your goal is to predict the next day’s weather (N: No rain L: Light rain H: Heavy rain) using the prior day’s weather data.
- 18 Mar 2022 Competition Starts
The goal of this competition is to predict the next day’s weather (N: No rain L: Light rain H: Heavy rain) using the prior day’s weather data.
In order to build your machine learning model, we have provided the following data sets:
There are 2 datasets for this competition, train datasets and test datasets. Both datasets have weather data for region A through region E. Please note that areas A through E and the target area where you need to predict the weather, are all neighboring regions. The location of each region is not available. These region datasets can be joined with the solution file using the 'date' column. Your goal is to build the algorithm(s) that predicts the "label" in the solution_format.csv. Please note that all the values in the solution_format.csv are dummy values.
*All "dates" are anonymized.
**The submission file should follow the same format as the example file (solution_format.csv). The submission file has 2 columns, one of id and one of value. BOTH have to be passed as STRINGS, which means that both columns should include the corresponding double quote marks (" "). If these are numeric values (no quote marks), the score will turn to 0.
Submissions are evaluated on accuracy (that is, 'Number of correct predictions / Total Number of predictions).
NOTE: You may submit a solution file up to 3 times a day.
- This competition is governed by the following Terms of Participation. Participants must agree to and comply with these Terms to participate.
- Users can make a maximum number of 3 submissions per day. If users want to submit new files after making three submissions in a day, they will have to wait until the following day to do so. Please keep this in mind when uploading a CSV file.
- The use of external datasets is not allowed.
- It is not allowed to upload the competition dataset to other websites.
- All submissions need to be made as an individual; no teams are allowed in this competition.
- This competition has a rolling leaderboard of 90 days. Once a submission is more than 90 days old, it will no longer count to the leaderboard.
- This competition is for learning and exploring. Aside from knowledge, there are no prizes for this competition.
- If you have any inquiries about this competition, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at email@example.com.
Thanks for your submission!
We'll send updates to your email. You can check your email and preferences here.
Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA)
An agreement to not reveal the information shared regarding this competition to others.
- This Non-Disclosure Agreement (“Agreement”) is hereby entered into on 21st March 2023 (“Effective Date”) between you (“Participant”), as a participant in the Weather Forecast Challenge (the “Competition”) hosted at bitgrit.net (the “Competition Site”), and bitgrit Inc. (“Bitgrit”).
- Purpose: This Agreement aims to protect information disclosed by Bitgrit to Participant (the “Purpose”).
- Confidential Information: (1) Confidential Information shall mean any and all information disclosed by Bitgrit to the Participant with regard to the entry and participation in the Competition, including (i) metadata, source code, object code, firmware etc. and, in addition to these, (ii) analytes, compilations or any other deliverable produced by the Participant in which such disclosed information is utilized or reflected. (2) Confidential Information shall not include information which; (a) is now or hereafter becomes, through no act or omission on the Participant, generally known or available to the public, or, in the present or into the future, enters the public domain through no act or omission by the Participant; (b) is acquired by the Participant before receiving such information from Bitgrit and such acquisition was without restriction as to the use or disclosure of the same; (c) is hereafter rightfully furnished to the participant by a third party, without restriction as to use or disclosure of the same.
- Non-Disclosure Obligation: The Participant agrees: (a) to hold Confidential Information in strict confidence; (b) to exercise at least the same care in protecting Confidential Information from disclosure as the party uses with regard to its own confidential information; (c) not use any Confidential Information except for as it concerns the Purpose elaborated upon above; (d) not disclose such Confidential Information to third parties; (e) to inform Bitgrit if it becomes aware of an unauthorized disclosure of Confidential Information.
- No Warranty: All Confidential Information is provided “as is.” None of the Confidential Information shall contain any representation, warranty, assurance, or integrity by Bitgrit to the Participant of any kind.
- No Granting of Rights: The Participant agrees that nothing contained in this Agreement shall be construed as conferring, transferring or granting any rights to the Participant, by license or otherwise, to use any of the Confidential Information.
- No Assignment: Participant shall not assign, transfer or otherwise dispose of this Agreement or any of its rights, interest or obligations hereunder without the prior written consent of Bitgrit.
- Injunctive Relief: In the event of a breach or the possibility of breach of this Agreement by the Participant, in addition to any remedies otherwise available, Bitgrit shall be entitled to seek injunctive relief or equitable relief, as well as monetary damages.
- Return/Destruction of the Confidential Information: (1) On the request of Bitgrit, the Participant shall promptly, in a manner specified by Bitgrit, return or destroy the Confidential Information along with any copies of said information. (2) Bitgrit may request the Participant to submit documentation to confirm the destruction of said Confidential Information to Bitgrit in the event that Bitgrit requests the Participant to destroy this Confidential Information, pursuant to the provision of the preceding paragraph.
- Term: The obligations with respect to the Confidential Information under this Agreement shall survive for a period of three (3) years after the effective date. Provided however, if the Confidential Information could be considered to fall under the category of “Trade Secret” of Bitgrit or any related third parties, this Agreement is to remain effective relative to that information for as far as the said information is regarded as Trade Secret under applicable laws and regulations. If the Confidential Information contains personal information, the terms of this Agreement shall remain effective on that information permanently.
- Governing Law: This Agreement shall be governed by and construed and interpreted under the laws of Japan without reference to its principles governing conflicts of laws.
Terms & Conditions
Please login to access this page
Join our newsletter
Our team releases a useful and informative newsletter every month. Subscribe to get it delivered straight into your inbox!
bitgrit will be your one stop shop for all
your AI solution needs
- Japan Office
- +81 3 6671 8256
Koganei Building 4th Floor,
Meguro City, Tokyo, Japan
- UAE Office
Office 103, Level 14, Al Sarab Tower, Abu Dhabi Global Market Square, Al Maryah Island,
Abu Dhabi, UAE